Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Temp: -4
Sunny again today!

Today was a pretty cool day. At school we had a nice laid back day before an extra long weekend for the kids. In the afternoon a scavenger hunt was planned for the whole school and it was so nice to be outside wandering around in the sun instead of inside a classroom. Good times... Tomorrow the kids have no school as we have an inservice so it will feel like an extra long weekend for us to!

Other than that, not too much else is new in Baker. A barge is in the bay but unfortunately it's a fuel barge and not the food one. Ours should be here on Tuesday, fingers crossed. At least the lake hasn't taken a notion to freeze yet. We've had a couple good snow storms this week and so snow is on the ground again and it looks like it's here to stay. Skidoos are out, snowmen are popping up all over the place, and the Northern store has it's Christmas decorations out! Can you imagine? I mean I'm a pretty festive gal but seriously.... before Halloween??? Crazy.

Last night my neighbours came by to help me unclog my bathroom sink and, although it drains like a beaut now, it made one heck of a mess! When it was being plunged the grungy fluid shot out the drain on the side of the sink and splashed all over the place. Now that is serious pressure. Too funny.



Well, Thanksgiving is upon us and this weekend should be kind of nice; we're doing a supper on Saturday night. Mmmmmmm turkey. Can't wait!! And with any luck we'll get out for a bit of a trip this weekend. It's calling for flurries pretty much all weekend so time will tell. I've got a hankering to go sliding and just play while the weather is still mild.

And of course, as is par for the course, a bad flu has been going around the community. Lots of kids and several teachers have fallen victim to it and Chris, who also lives in our building, got it too the poor bugger. So, to limit the spread of the virus to the rest of the building a couple of pranksters (who shall remain nameless) posted this sign on his door. But, it seems to have done the trick! Touch wood, I'm still healthy!



And here's a picture of our principal, Ivan, delivering pancakes to the classes. Very creative apron Ivan!

1 Comments:

Blogger Rob, Tina and the boys said...

The Northern has their christmas stuff out??! NOT FAIR! hehe. My hubby and I work at the Northern and I have been working in the GM dept. Christmas stuff has been coming in by the truckload and I've been stacking it in a corner until after Halloween. I wish I could put ours out! BUT, in all fairness, I bet that store is bigger than ours. We hardly have enough room for the stuff we have! Can you do me a favor? Can you snap a picture of the Northern and email it to me? Take a peek at my blog and you'll see why. I've been reading your blog lately and I'm going to link it to mine if that's OK with you.

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home