Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Temp: 0
Windchill: -7
Winds: 33-46 km/hr
SUNNY!!!!! Finally, after two weeks of dreariness

Well, as I said, the sun is finally out and it feels pretty darn good! We have had flurries off and on for the past few weeks but yesterday we had our first snow storm to speak of. The wind was pretty strong, and still is today, but yesterday the wind was so strong that we actually had some pretty significant waves out on the lake. It was kind of hypnotic to sit and watch from my window.

And as I write this, I'm so happy to have my computer back. It crashed about 10 days ago and had to be sent to Winnipeg for repairs. Seems silly I guess but it sure felt isolating not having internet access and communication via email (although I did get a lot of errands done around the house). Between that and weather I thought I was going to go batty! It wasn't a great week but the sunshine today has just made it all better! Well, that and the fact that the repairs were covered under warranty (replacement of the soundboard).

So what have I been up to lately..... Well, school has been good. We went berry picking a couple weeks ago. It was chilly and snowed the morning we went so it was more about hanging out with the kids than picking berries but it was so much fun. The kids are great at rolling with the punches. Snow angels were made, we warmed ourselves by the fire, some VERY ripe berries were picked (and ate), soccer was played, and bannock was eaten. Good times. Here are some pics:





Last night my neighbour Chris had us all over for a feed and was it ever good! He did himself proud for sure. The boys played music and sang and it was lovely (lovely ~ how can you tell I'm watching Coronation Street as I type this?). :-) And today I'm just going to head to the Northern and pick up some stuff to make Sushi for supper and then edit the school newsletter. Just a laid back weekend.

As for what else is going on, I did a barge order this year but it's been delayed. It was supposed to be here Sept 22nd and now isn't slated to arrive until October 9th. I am hoping against hope that we don't get a couple good freezes before then. Nothing like exploded pop to damage all your food! Fingers crossed....

Well, another night I'll attach some more cute photos from berry picking. The internet is wayyy too slow tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home