Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Friday, September 14, 2007

Temp: -1
Snowing
Pretty chilly

Ladies and gentleman, we have snow! The first snowflakes were spotted on September 6th. Our first real flurries were on the 9th (woohoo I nailed the date) and last night it was cold enough that the snow has actually stuck around. It is truly beginning to feel a lot like Christmas!!



And what with the snow on the ground and the chill in the air, our berry picking trip was postponed until next week although I don't hold out much hope for the weather or the berries. Ahh well. The next event to look forward to... the freezing of the lake. My guess is October 10th so we shall see how that pans out.

And with the chillier weather of course people are dressing warmer. Toques and mittens, parkas, and Crocs??? Here's a picture of Helen the teacher I worked with my first year in Baker in her parka and Crocs. Heh heh, who says it's just the kids more concerned with staying fashionable than with being warm! :-)



Other than that, things are good up here. Time is flying by and it's hard to believe we're already half way through September. Only three more months and we'll be gettin' ready for Christmas. Crazy..

Here's a picture of an art project I got to puddle around with in class while the student was doing the same. Man, elementary school is so much fun. It's great feeling and playing like a kid again! Does a person good for sure.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Hey Treena- we hear a nuclear power plant is being built near Peace River!! How do you feel about that?

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home