Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Friday, August 17, 2007

Temp: 9
A chill in the air.... could fall be around the corner???

Well, the weather has been a bit chilly lately and cloudy but I suppose that's what we should expect with August fast coming to a close. Actually, I'm looking forward to fall and the first fall of big fluffy snowflakes. After having spent a sweltering July in AB I have come to the conclusion that I am very much a winter girl!

Anyway, the town is a buzz right now with the many barges coming in; both for personal orders and for supplies for the mines that have gone in here. I am breaking down this year and placing a barge order and it should be here in mid to late September if everything goes as planned. I only wish that one could get fresh produce on the barge as I have not had much luck getting any through Foodmail. Here are a couple pics of the produce and Tofu that I recieved yesterday (note the expiry date of June 13th!) Nice....



Mmmmmmmmmm..... strawberries or some kind of science project?



And on the opposite end of the spectrum we have very green, very hard bananas. Excellent!



Sigh... this trying to eat healthier isn't going so well.

A couple weeks ago Jenesta, Todd, Tania and I took the dogs out to the edge of the lake for a bit of a romp. It was an amazing day and the sky was so blue that the water looks phenomenal! The dogs loved playing in it and Oliver LIVES to fetch the ball. That is, apparently until he decides he's had enough and he plunks his butt down in the water while the ball floats 20 feet behind him. The look he gives me is 'you get the blasted ball, I've had enough!' :-)





Jenesta in the back of the truck with the rest of us heading out to the edge of the lake



All in all, it's been good being back. We started work this past Wednesday but the kids don't come back until Monday. However, I've run into a lot of the students around town and it's been so great to see them. Man, in two months they've grown and changed so much! Some of them are catching up to me in height, it's crazy. I hadn't realized how much I'd missed the kids until I saw them again and I think it's going to be a really fun year. We're with a teacher named Kristen who is new to Baker but was in Whale Cove for a few years before coming here. She's got a great sense of humour and will be a lot of fun to work with. And, she's 10 feet tall so we'll make an interesting pair in the classroom. Ok, she's probably only 6 foot something but with me being 5'2 it's going to look a bit like Mutt and Jeff I'm afraid. :-) Too funny.

And this Wednesday I head back to Alberta for my good friend Michelle's wedding. I think it will be a good time. The trip just got a bit more complicated though in that I have to take Oliver out to the vet to get some tests done. Sigh.... I'm pretty worried about the little stinker, so I'm really hoping that it ends up being a bug of some sort and not diabetes or a bladder thing. Living in the north will make it very difficult and expensive to treat something serious. I'm hoping against hope that it's tapeworm or something like that. It's amazing how dogs can become such an important part of the family. Fingers crossed he is A-OK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home