Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Temp: 20 (in Edmonton)
Sunny!!!

Well, I landed in AB on June 13th after a bit of an adventure. First, we left Baker at 8:00 a.m. and, as luck and the weather would have it, we ended up not having to do the 'milk run' of stops we normally make. The fog was too bad so we ended up going from Baker straight to Thompson (missing Chester, Rankin, Arviat and Churchill). Good for us! Bad for those who were supposed to make connections in Rankin. And the turbulance was really bad! I hadn't realized how uptight I was about it until the next day I could hardly open my jaw, the muscles were that sore! Sheesh. And, with having missed all those stops, I would have expected to land in Winnipeg early. And we were: 5 mins early. I have no idea how that worked out.

Anyway, a hop skip and a jump and I was in Grande Prairie, AB meeting my folks off the plane. Green grass/trees and family... it doesn't get better than that! So, we ended up staying an extra night in GP because my cargo didn't arrive. Apparently it got bumped in Edmonton due to a large shipment of live bees and fish that had priority. Go figure... :-) Friday we headed home to PR and.... a haircut! Woohoo!! I no longer look like a cave woman!!

Which brings me to today, as I write this I'm in a hotel in Edmonton. I'm here for a friend's baby shower and to catch up with people that I haven't seen in wayyy too long. Sunday I head back to PR for a couple weeks and then the last two weeks of July will be spent in a lovely cabin of my friends on Lac St Anne. I'm sooo excited for that. Relaxing on the lake.... good times. But, being here today it's crazy how much Edmonton has changed in just two years. There is so much more traffic and construction. There are new buildings everywhere you look! It's one busy city and it's way past busting at the seams. Housing is brutally expensive and in short supply. The more I see of it, the less I think I'll be able to afford to move back when I finally leave the north. It's too bad.

Anyway, here's a picutre of one piece of my cargo that got way-layed on the trip up. Gotta love that duct tape! It's a beautiful old rocker that was at our school in the library and the base broke off of it. It was to be thrown in the garbage but I couldn't let that happen so I brought it home to repair. One of my friends said 'How old are you that you're collecting rocking chairs?!' but I don't care. It's so special to me to think how many kids rocked in it while reading books in the library. Love it!!



And Oliver likes it too!



The view from my hotel room... downtown Edmonton.



Just another beautiful tree!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Too funny! I can see my hotel from the picture that you posted! Edmonton is just insane; the traffic, people, and the lightning storm we are having right now. I am up on the 29th floor and it is amazing. I am jealous that you are headed to PR. The doc said that I couldn't travel- so no trip back to Dawson for me. I am stuck in Edmonton for the whole time. I hope you have a great holiday!

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home