Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Temp: 4

Well, first week back after the long weekend and man was it ever hard to get up this morning. Doesn't help that I'm suffering from a cold I suppose. Ahh well.

The long weekend was nice and lazy; Friday night just hung out and watched a movie at my place and Saturday night it was off to Todd and Jenesta's for a gathering and to celebrate their birthdays. Really nice. Sunday was a really lazy day for me but a lot of people from the community were out on the land and saw Muscox! I'm so jealous. Dang my honda for being broke down now. Sigh... ahh well. And yesterday Tania and I took the dogs for a walk out behind the town up by the cemetary. It was really nice and peaceful out there. Oliver found every body of water he could and rolled in it and a couple of cranes followed our every move for a good part of the walk. There's nothing like the sound of cranes; it sounds very prehistoric to me. We actually got quite close to them but of course I didn't have my camera with me.

Anyway, that was the weekend in a nutshell. Except that a friend, mentor and fellow interpreter lost her battle to cancer on Sunday and I'm left feeling very sad and very far from my Alberta family and friends once again.

But on a different note, we are taking dibs on when the first snowflakes will fly. In 2006 it was Sept 7th. Last year, the 8th. Hmm... it's pretty chilly in the air now and geese are just a flying down south now so I'm guessing it will be the 9th this year. Gotta allow for that global warming up here I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home