Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Temp: 6
Calling for flurries on Sunday!!

So as I write this, kleenex box nestled close by, I'm amazed at the amount of fluid that can flow from one's nose. Sheesh... My comfort at this time is the tea I am drinking from my new tea mug. Ever since I bought the movie 'Under the Tuscan Sun' this summer I have been obsessed with Tuscany and one day getting there. So, when I came across a set of four mugs on the Coldwater Creek website called Tuscan Mugs, of course I had to get hem (yet again, I have WAY too much time on my hands)! So, between my nose running and my neck being put out and, well a pain in the neck, it was a kind of long day. But, it is now a beautiful night in Baker Lake; the sun is out, the air is crisp and the lake is a deep amazing blue. Life is pretty good.



And while the view out the front of my apartment is of the lake in all her glory, the view out the back has something to be said for it too. Down south in AB about this time is when the corn fields have matured and some have been turned into mazes for the amusement of the public. While I have never gone through one, I have always wanted to. Funny how we put things off until 'later'. But, as luck would have it, Baker Lake has it's own version of a maze. Out back of our building there are hundreds of barrels that, I think are empty, and have been brought here for storage. Day after day for several weeks I would see one poor fella hauling barrels, 6 or 8 at a time, in his pickup truck and drop them off. I have to give the guy credit; it was not an easy job. But in laying them out, trails were left between some of the barrels in order to maneuver around and the kids have since shifted them in order to walk through them (though the odd child leaps on top and glides across the tops). So there we have it. The maze in Baker Lake. And the in the morning and early afternoon the barrels come to life after having been heated by the sun and sound off in a chorus of bongs and bangs. Too funny. Between that and the seagulls it's a downright musical place where I live! :-)



As for work, school has been coming along swimmingly. The kids are happy to be back as are the teachers. Sport programs are full steam ahead and our school will be heading out on its annual berry picking trips within the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to that; it should be a lot of fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home