Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Temp: 2
Cloudy, calling for flurries, and VERY muddy

Well, since I last wrote I finally received the ever-elusive barge order I'd been waiting on. I got it last Saturday and I have to say it was pretty exciting to get my first barge order! It was fun packing it all away and knowing there were some things I wouldn't have to worry about buying at the Northern or shipping in on Foodmail. I've been trying for a few days to upload some pictures but our internet up here has been terribly slow lately.

We had a nice Thanksgiving over at Tania and Chad's last weekend. Mmmmm turkey!! The whole gang was there and then after dinner we played a bit of Cranium which was fun.

The weather has been very mild these last couple of weeks; we had a couple good snow storms at the end of September but since then we've had a lot of rain and the snow has mostly melted away. It's crazy. By now the lake should be frozen, people out on it ice fishing and there should be a fair bit of snow on the ground. It's funny and I know most people would think I'm crazy but I don't like this mild weather. Red mud gets all over everything and we haven't had a plane get into town since Wednesday because of the thick fog we've had. FOG! In October! Bizzarre..... Actually, a flight finally got in today and it had freight on it which is a good thing because the Northern was out of milk, eggs, bread, fruits and vegs since Monday and a whole lot of other stuff. Pretty frustrating I have to say. Between the planes being unable to make it in and the mining companies buying up a lot of the groceries at the store for their camps it's been slim pickings for a while now.

Other than that, I'm just really looking forward to Halloween. Haven't figured out a costume yet but I'll have to get on that this weekend. Can't have the kids upstaging me now can I?! :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Rob, Tina and the boys said...

It's been very muddy here also, and warm. We had that crazy fog for a few days also. Luckily, our Northern store has stuff trucked in so it didn't effect us that way.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home