Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Monday, January 22, 2007

Temp: -40
Windchill:-57
Ouch!!

Well, I awoke this morning to -57 temperatures. We are in one heck of a cold snap up here. The Weather Office had issued a 'Windchill Warning' last night, which puzzled me because it's been this cold before or just under it, say -54, but I haven't seen a warning issued before now. Interesting. Anyway, I went out with Oliver and it was darn cold. Skin freezes in under 2 mins and I can so see how it happens. The wind was so cold it went through my parka! It's 7:28 right now and I'm just waiting the last couple of minutes before I dry my hair in case we get the call that says to stay home (they have to let us know by 7:30 for cancellations). It's likely not going to happen though because the last time we had a blizzard day it was -52 with farily good visibility and wow, you should have heard the older people in the community complaining that 'When they were young, this wouldn't have stopped them...' Hmm... maybe so but when my mom was young she had to walk to school in 5 feet of snow uphill both ways and that's just not something I have a desire to do either (being from the lazier, softer generation and all). =o) Ahh well. It's 7:35 now so the call isn't coming and off I go soon to get ready.

This weekend was pretty tame. Friday night we all went over for a potluck at Shane and Erica's which was nice. Good food, good music. But I wish I knew the words to more of the old songs that they know how to play. I'll have to do some searching on the internet I guess. Oh, something that is new is that I'm learning the guitar again. I say again because I made a futile attempt in the fall but Tania and I are doing it together so it's going better this time. Well, I need to practise a lot more because I don't have calluses yet. Never thought I'd be looking forward to the day I'd have calluses.

Then Saturday night a friend named Andrea had a house party for everyone. That was nice. There were a lot of people there so it was good to catch up with people you don't normally have time to go see (or don't really feel like getting bundled up in -57 weather to go see even though you'd really enjoy their company). Anyway, it was nice.

Then Sunday was Coronation Street, of course, and cleaning up around the house. Tania flew off to Ottawa for meetings for the week and when she returns she's bringing with her a Collie puppy!! How exciting! We found them surfing breeder websites a couple weeks ago and they are SO CUTE!! I toyed with the idea of getting one myself because I've always loved them but two big dogs is a bit more than I relish having to travel with. However, were I down south... :-)

Well, I better get ready for work. Doh!

Oh man, 'Doh' reminds me of a hilarious commercial that is running on TV right now. It's about quitting smoking and it shows a flight attendant, very irritable, quitting smoking and just how she reacts to the passengers. Holy cow it is some kind of funny!! At one point she stomps down the isle to a man standing up, reaching into the overhead compartment and yells at him 'THE SEATBELT SIGN IS STILL ON!! GOD!!!!'. Man, if you have ever tried to quit smoking you can so relate to it. It is too funny. And I bet that all flight attendants get such a kick out of it because it's what they wish they could say to the not so swift.

Well, hi ho hi ho it's off to work I go.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home