Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Monday, January 15, 2007

Temp: -37
Windchill: Not tonight, thank goodness!

Well, it's been a cold seven days here in Baker Lake. The coldest was -54 and let me tell ya that is just plain bloody cold!! We had -52 for a few days and they actually shut down the school for one day because of windchill and not just lack of visibility (which is normally the only reason we close due to weather). Man, I can remember in Peace River when we didn't have to go if the weather was -32 or colder because the bus might break down. Sheesh! How spoiled were we?! It's funny because I was telling a friend how cold it was up here and he said, 'But how cold is it without the windchill'? -38 technically but when there are no trees to shelter you from the wind, -52 IS the actual temperature!

Anyway, what else is new up here? I attempted to do the FoodMail thing through Sobey's in Thompson again but was disappointed. Again. Frozen potatoes, cucumber and smashed/frozen eggs. Good times. I guess I'll just have to limit my orders with them to non-perishables. Ahh well.

Not too much else is new so I'm just going to put on some random pics.

Here's a picture from out on the lake. Just a cool little snowdrift that looks big but is only about 6 inches high.



Oliver with 'Earl'. I LOVE the tattoo on his arm (MOM) and the hair on his chest. Too funny! I'm tempted to bring him to AB and take pics of Earl travelling the world and post them. :-)



Getting bundled up to brave the weather.



Oliver and Tila playing. Poor Tila couldn't get out to be fixed before going into her first heat, hence the diaper. Todd and Jenesta don't have kids yet but they'll be pretty skilled with diapers when they do! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home