Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Temp: -17
Windchill: -25
Colder than AB but still not actually that cold

Well, it's January the 7th and I am back safe and sound in Baker after the holdays. I flew out on Sat, Dec 16th and as soon as I left Baker it was go, go, go.

I spent 4 days in Edmonton seeing friends and shopping like a mad woman. I had great visits, got good deals, and had my first ever car accident. I rear-ended a young lad on Whyte Ave while reaching for my falling purse. After a while in the North, I realized two things: 1. One should pay attention that much better when one hasn't driven in a while, and 2. A falling purse is not worth saving if it will prevent a car accident to not do it. Lessons learned. :-) So anyway, we pulled over, I prayed he wasn't big and wanted to beat me up, and it turned out the little fella (There is a God!!) actually thought he'd hit the person in front of him, not me hitting him. Too funny! Then, after we established that no, in fact it was me that hit him, and no there was no damage to the cars, we parted ways calling it just one of those things. Until we realized that the little darlin' had locked his keys in his car. Great. So we used my AMA, waited in a store for them to get there and he helped me pick out a new purse! Not only should it sit better on my car seat, but it was on sale! Sweet...

After my short stint in Edm, I got back to the farm to hurry up and relax with the fam for a bit. It was so nice to see eveyone. And, when I woke up one morning this is what I saw out the bedroom window. Growing up in AB I never ever thought that I would be one to miss seeing Moose but apparently I do because I was in awe of it. What a beauty.



All in all my holiday was a really good one. I got to spend time with some friends, see a lot of family, learn how to play dice poker then try to teach it to my mom, and just enjoy driving again. It was really really busy but worth it. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see near as many people as I had hoped. In the summer I promise I will get to see more friends and reconnect with people that I haven't in way too long (you and me on a patio with a Corona in June Natalie!). And yet as much as I enjoyed it, it's good to be back in Baker. I really missed everyone here and, oddly, work. I guess it's a good sign when you enjoy your job.

Here's a few pics from before I left. This one is of the two barges that were frozen into the lake by the company that is building the Gold mine 100 kms out of town. It's full of barrels of gas. Nice...



Here are some pics from us going Caribou hunting the week before we left for holidays. There are hundreds of Caribou surrounding the town. They're beautiful and peaceful animals.







This is from the VERY long flight back from Winnipeg to Thompson, to Churchill, to Arviat, to Rankin, to Baker Lake. I was in the Calgary airport at 6:45 a.m. and landed in Baker at 10:30 p.m. I was some tired!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home