Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Temp: -18
Windchill: -34
Blizzard


My view this afternoon

Well, it's Sunday afternoon and I just got back from Ivan and Edna's where everyone gathered for a brunch feast. Yummy! Good for the taste buds, not good for the waistline. Ahh well. Man, that is one thing I'm sure grateful for up here; everyone sure can cook!

The weather yesterday was nice - crisp, but nice - but last night it turned blustery and today we had a windy, chilly day. Finally!! This weather makes me feel very cozy and want to curl up on the couch and just enjoy a cup of tea. And it's been a long time coming. I can't believe that it took us until November 19th to have a blizzard and it wasn't even an impressive one!

So here we are, only four weeks from Christmas holidays and things are buzzing along like you wouldn't believe. We've got the Christmas concert coming up at school to prepare for; we're doing two selections - Rockin' around the Christmas Tree and Silent Night (which will be signed). It will be a lot of work but will be pretty darn cute. Can't wait. It sure brings back the memories of my school and community Christmas concerts.

Speaking of Christmas, I decorated for Christmas this past weekend. As I write this I'm listening to The Bare Naked Ladies Christmas album and I am feeling rather festive! The local store is fully decorated for the holidays and Christmas music is blaring from the speakers. And yesterday I had finally experienced something that I've been curious about since moving here. Bingo at the Northern. Once a week there is bingo held at the local grocery store. Each time you spend money at the Northern they give you bingo tickets to play on bingo night. And when it's time for bingo, look out! People sit all over the store and listen for the numbers to be called over the PA system. It's a pretty unique experience. The store is packed with people, the tills are clogged up with players busily marking their cards the counters (and don't even THINK of trying to pay for your purchase while numbers are being called!), and the isles are, well, dangerous to maneuver through. And if you don't want dirty looks, you had best keep your voice down so that winning numbers aren't missed. Definitely a unique experience.




Some Christmas Decorations



Now this photo is going to be gross once I explain what it is, but, I'm warped and thought it was funny so had to share. This is Oliver's contribution to art in Baker Lake. He is, apparently, skilled in the art of Inukshuk making. This is a remnant of his 'relief' area; the snow blew away all the snow surrounding this little contribution and, voila! We were left with an Inukshuk. Too funny. And yes, I have wayyy too much time on my hands! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home