Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Monday, October 02, 2006

'Do not drink the water from the tap. If you want water, please see reception and we will give you some'.

This is the sign posted at the Baker Lake Health Centre. It doesn't invoke a lot of confidence in the water filtration system up here I'm afraid. So, I've taken to using nothing but Brita filtered, often boiled first, water. And, I've started getting my water from the bridge as many other Baker Lakers do. Water has never tasted so good!

As for life in Baker, not too much else is new. We've been reveling in a wonderfully warm fall and it's only been in the last couple of days that it's gotten chilly. We've had flurries several times but compared to last year it's darn near Florida here! And the other good news? It's the fall sweeps! I'm lovin' it. Boston Legal, Studio 60, ER, Grey's anatomy, House.. Sigh, better-than-mediocre TV makes my exercise machine a lot more bearable that's for sure!

Chicken Pox has swept the community and the kids have been dropping like flies. As well, we've had a lot of cases of Pink Eye up here. Now the Chicken Pox I'm not worried about. I had a fierce case as a young adult and, although there have definitely been cases where people have gotten them twice, I'm pretty sure I'm immune. Touch wood. But Pink Eye has me a wee bit uneasy so I've been washing my hands and disinfecting them pretty much non-stop! I have a renewed compassion for my sister who ended up with it last year the week before her wedding. Funny now, not so much then. :-)

In September we did here in Baker what many other schools in the country did; we went on the Terry Fox run/walk. It was a chilly day and there were flurries but it was a nice afternoon. Here is a pic from the event.














Friday night we all went to the high school to the Coffee House where staff and students get together and jam. If there's something I've developed while being up here it's an appreciation of music of all kinds. Last Sunday we went for brunch at the Nunamiut and a fellow was sitting on the couch playing the accordion while we ate. It was so great. Two years ago I wouldn't have had an appreciation for the accordion, but I sure do now. Talent comes in so many forms.

Other than that, I've spent the last week finishing up the DVD for the family reunion I went to this summer. One thing I can say is that if this interpreting thing ever runs its course for me, I think I'd like to try graphic design. It's a lot of work but I sure enjoy it.

One thing that has been a bit frustrating lately up here though is things being out of stock. International Express Post envelopes, stamps, hangers. Can you imagine that Baker Lake is out of hangers?! I've been trying to buy some since I arrived in August and, apparently, hangers aren't a hot commodity up here. Who knew?

I'd like to attach some neat pics I've taken over the past few weeks but the internet is, of course, not working very well. Will do so when I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home