Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Canada Post is out of stamps. I have no idea how this happens, but apparently it can happen. The post office in Baker Lake ran out of stamps at the beginning of May, therefore, no mail went out until around May 16th. At which point they received more stamps. And then there were stamps for three days until they ran out again. So why not use the postage meter for outgoing mail you ask? Good question. The answer: there isn't a postage meter. I have sent parcels back home that cost $55 and had to lick every one of the blasted stamps. And not large stamps of $10 or $25 either. $1 and $2 stamps. I will never take self-adhesive stamps for granted again.

On another note, since being here I have tried raw Caribou meat. It was brought to work to share with the staff. The meat was raw, frozen and just torn apart into little chunks in a bag. I have to admit I was pretty nervous to try it. Just the thought of eating something that hadn't been cooked yet gave me a feeling of uneasiness; however I couldn't say no to the experience. Besides, the ladies at work seemed to be getting such a kick out of the idea of the newbie from the south trying something so foreign to her, I had to do it. It tasted just like I expected it would. Cold, somewhat stringy, and... like blood. I had chosen the piece that I felt looked most appealing and as small as possible. And then it happened. I got a piece of Caribou wedged between my teeth and I couldn't get it out. All afternoon. And no one had floss - go figure. I've come to the conclusion that raw Caribou meat must be an acquired taste. Like Sushi. And regardless what it is, I'm afraid I'm not a big fan of anything raw. Down south, up north, it doesn't matter where I am or what it is. After all I'm from Alberta and they don't call it good old (cooked) Alberta beef for nothing! But, I'm glad I tried Caribou and I thank the ladies for encouraging me to do it. What a cool experience.

Something else that's new to me, but pretty neat to experience, is that it now never gets dark here. We don't have 24 hours of full sunlight like our neighbours a bit north of us but it doesn't get dark at all here now. The sun sets and rises (11:03 and 3:39), however, between these hours we have dusk. Everything is completely visible. It's neat. Mind you it's only neat for me because I had purchased dark fabric shower curtains to use as window coverings when I moved up here. They're knit very tightly to waterproof them and therefore keep a room nice and dark for sleeping. How very Martha of me I thought :-)

Another interesting thing up here is that, for the first time in my life, I am the average height. In fact, I often feel a bit tall. I'm 5'2 and feeling tall pretty much never happens. Actually, I was walking down the hall today talking with a couple of teachers when I realized I could see over their heads. Now that was a cool feeling!

Well, I'm beat. Enough rambling for one evening.

1 Comments:

Blogger dragonfliesandbutterflies said...

Have you given any thought to "author" as a second calling?

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home