Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Since moving here in August for work, I've had some pretty amazing experiences in Baker Lake, NU. I'm going to use this blog to keep everyone 'down south' updated on what's happening. In a nutshell, here's some of what I've experienced so far:

I've gone on a Caribou hunt (although I did not shoot anything myself, I did get my hands dirty divvying up the days catch). And I STILL can't eat Caribou nearly 4 months later!



Before the hunt...


On the kitchen floor, after the hunt.

I made a new addition to my family; Oliver is 7 months old now and has grown like a weed! He's been excellent company even if he is costing me a fortune between the $20/5lb bag of Puppy Chow (price check that!) and the carpet he keeps gnawing on while I'm at work!! Here's a picture of us in front of an Iglu that my neighbour's class made with some elders out on the land as part of their culture program.



I've enjoyed some amazing sunrises/sunsets up here. It feels like you can see forever.. absolutely breathtaking!



I've been ice fishing in -39 degree weather; thank goodness for the small shack we had for refuge. It had a wood burning stove in it which was a real treat as there are no trees here.





And I've met some pretty great people. Baker Lake is a very friendly community, and the kids.... oh the kids. They are firmly planted in my heart I have to say. I've never worked in an elementary setting before but I am loving it. To be around kids all day and see things from their perspective is pretty darn cool. Best toodle off to bed so I can see what tomorrow will bring!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home