Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Friday, April 28, 2006

Well, today was a pretty nice day weather-wise; the sun was shining and the snow was melting. But it's odd how the snow seems to evaporate and not really run off like I'm used to in Alberta. Well, at least it hasn't started to run off yet but it is crazy how fast it disappears! One day we'll have a storm with a foot of fresh snow, and a day or two later you can see gravel and patches of mud. It's so darn dry here...

Which brings me to the static electricity here. It's bloody crazy! I literally get a shock EVERY SINGLE TIME I touch the phone, TV, computer, lamp... anything. And not just the little insignificant shocks one is used to getting. Oh no. I get the 'watch the electricity arc and then feel the pain where it connects with my finger and then shoots up my arm' kind of shocks. I dread answering the phone; if I can't ground myself before I touch it, I shock it and it sends the call straight to the answering machine. Bizarre. And poor Oliver. He toughs it out but he gets shocked all the time. It makes me wonder if there are any long term effects from getting shock therapy every few minutes!?

Baker Lake also offers another unique phenomenon (at least to me!) Sometimes, when freezing ice cubes, they freeze with an ice spike sticking straight up! I'm sure there's an explanation for this but I'm not sure what it is. Anyhow, I've attached a picture of it because it's just so neat.

Well, that's it for today. Think I'm going to watch an episode from 'Dallas' from the series DVD's I bought. Let me tell ya, If there's one thing you learn to do real quick up here, it's online shop!


Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

Hi Treena:
A Humidifier will solve much of that static problem in your home. Buy one at most any hardware outlet. Your Puppy is really cute!!

Nice Blog, too.:)

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home