Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Spring in Baker Lake?!

Well, for anyone complaining about chilly weather or a skiff of snow that's a bit inconvenient in the rest of Canada, I thought I'd attach a couple pictures of a house that has a wee bit of snow on the doorstep. The first was taken a few weeks ago and the second I took today. Crazy! Ask me if I'm glad I live in an apartment where I'm not responsible for shovelling!! :-)





This morning some friends and I went to the Nunamiut Lodge for brunch. By friends I mean the 12 plex 'seniors' as we're all affectionately known as. It's a standing joke up here that the 'seniors' don't like to leave the 12 plex to socialize and like to be in bed by midnight. Too funny. Honestly though, it's so convenient having friends in the same building because socializing is so easy. No getting dressed up in parkas, snowpants, Sorels. Just put on your PJ's and head over to the neighbours for cards, Cranium or a movie. There's seven of us (including one youngin from up the road). But we're branching out and the seniors have made the brunch outing a weekly Sunday ritual. It's nice because it tends to make a person feel less isolated here. And there's a solarium. We actually have to wear sunglasses because the sun on the snow is so bright.

Speaking of the sun, dusk now seems to fall about 11:45 pm and sunrise is about 4:00 am. The days are longer and let me tell ya, it's showing in the kids! The last place they want to be is in class and I can't blame them. I find it hard being there myself when the sun is so welcoming outside the window. We're all getting antsy and just looking forward to school being out for the summer. Only 5 more Sundays until I get to Alberta.. woohoo!!

Anyway, here's a picture of my neighbour Chad and the little old fish that he caught yesterday. It was over 3 feet long and 15 lbs and was it ever tasty! The small fish is what people use for bait up here.. Heh heh, just kidding! The 'bait' was a 2 pounder that someone else had caught. Too funny.



And here's a picture of my other neighbour Todd out with Oliver. Last weekend they all went out ice fishing and took Oliver with them because I was sick. You know, that's one of the coolest things about living here. The friendships you make and the willingness for everyone to lend a hand, even when you don't ask for it. I really appreciate the friends I've made up here and it's pretty amazing that we are all sharing such a unique adventure that not enough people get to experience. Very cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home