Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Temp: -14
Windchill: -26
Blizzard

So what has been new this past week? Well, it's actually been kind of interesting. After coming into contact with one of the little ones at school who has Scabies, I ended up having to be treated for it as a precaution. Nice. So, bedding was washed, clothing was washed, parkas and boot liners were frozen to kill any little friends that may have hopped on for the ride, and medicated lotion was applied from head to toe. Excellent.... Ahh well. You work on the front lines, ya gotta expect a little inconvenience I guess. :-)

And as for today? WOOO HOOOO.... It's a Storm Day!!! Oh I am one happy girl! Today is the first storm day of the season. Actually, it's the first 1/2 storm day; we went to school in the morning even though the weather was iffy. But, the weather, combined with lack of attendance, has forced a closure. In a school of 270ish students, we only had 87 kids this morning because most are out with a bad flu/cold that is going around. Let me tell ya, the Health Centre is one busy place trying to look after them all. The Day Care and the arena are closed too with hopes of stopping the spread.

Here's a picture of looking out my window. Check out the SUV in the road. Then check it out as it's no longer on the road but 4x4ing unintentionally (in the background - not the close one). Crazy!





So, what am I going to do with my day? Well, I'm going to get caught up on some crafty stuff. Maybe some baking. A bit of laundry. Just enjoy my 'free' day. Yup... Good times.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I just found your blog! We live in Kugluktuk. I see you have a link to Peace River? Are you from there? I grew up an hour outside of Grande Prairie just inside the BC border. We have lived in the NT and now we are in Nunavut and loving it!

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Treena

I found your blog compliments of Jaime and Jeff. I hope you don't mind me adding it to other interesting blogs I have listed. I have been teaching in Cape Dorset since August. I am enjoying life in the North but I really miss my wife and kids.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home