Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Temp: -31
Windchill: -41
Coooooooollllldddd!!!!!

'Hey, I heard you got a new hat. Nice!' That's how you know it's a small town; when you run into someone and that's how they open the conversation. Little things get noticed in a little town. Too funny. But I do have a very nice new hat thanks to Bertha, the teacher I work with. It even has my name on it in syllabics.



Well, it's been a cold week. We woke up to -48 winchill this morning and, at 7:30 this morning, I was standing outside waiting for Oliver to do his business when I looked up and saw the most beautiful Northern Lights. At 7:30 IN THE MORNING! That was pretty crazy. It is always dark in the morning now before work, but I have never in my life seen Northern Lights in the morning.

As for what else is new up here, this weekend will bring the annual Christmas Craft Sale. Everyone in town really looks forward to it and a lot of the local artists come out with prints, wall hangings, and various other wares. This year, I'm tossing my hat into the ring with some necklaces that I made. I'm hoping they appeal to the young girls in the community because there isn't really anything for them fashion-wise to buy here. We'll see. If they don't go, then I've got a whole lot of new necklaces to add to my collection! A girl just can't lose.

Speaking of Christmas, the countdown begins what with tomorrow being December 1st. The countdown to Christmas holidays that is. We finish school on December 15th and I am AB bound on the 16th. It's going to be nice. Really nice. Everyone seems to be getting the itch for the break. The isolation factor is setting in so it will be refreshing to have a change of scenery, do some shopping, get a haircut (woohoo!!), hopefully go skiing, see some friends, and kick back. Really looking forward to it.

Here are a few pictures:


The view of the lake at sunset.

And here are some other interesting pictures that have nothing to do with anything except they are cool.
(photos courtesy of Brad Mainse)




Seal peaking through an ice hole.


Arctic Fox


Caribou

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home