Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Temp: -3
Sunrise: 8:37 a.m.
Sunset: 5:40 p.m.
Big fluffy snowflakes falling and Winter Storm Watch issued

Well, the past week has been an interesting one. We've had a few days at school where the kids have been pretty chaotic. Not sure if it's the change in weather or what but it's been a wee bit tiring I have to say. But, amongst all the chaos, I celebrated my birthday on Sunday. Todd and Jenesta had a brunch for me and the whole gang was there which was really nice. And on Monday I got a card from the class which made me chuckle. One of the kids wrote that I was a 'great ASL teacher - good job!' and another girl wrote 'Happy birthday. You have the best hair.' Well, ya know, what more could a gal ask for? :-) Too funny.

And, sadly, we had a tragedy in the community late Friday night. A wonderful lady named Alice, who was a friend of mine, was killed in an ATV accident. She took a corner too fast and was thrown from her honda and killed. It's devastating and has shaken a lot of people. The funeral was this morning; the church was packed and it was a nice service. Afterwards, I caught a ride up to the cemetery for the burial. I've been to several funerals before but not to the cemetery for a burial. It was very cold up there as it is on the top of a hill and completely exposed. And although I was terribly cold, having not dressed properly, I have to say it was a very unique and peaceful experience. The casket was set on the ground and everyone gathered around. The minister said a prayer and then called for the men to form a line to a pile of large rocks about 20 feet away. One by one they passed the rocks up the line and gently laid them around the casket until they were piled to the top. Then several pails of gravel were also handed up and carefully spread over the top until it could no longer be seen. Then another prayer was offered and family and friends laid flowers and wreaths on top. It was so touching; I was very moved by how many people were there and the amount of love that everyone has for Alice. I think the thing that moved me the most though was to see her teenage son holding up the cross at the head of the casket while everyone worked around him to place the rocks so carefully. He stood there, his forehead resting against the cross, just standing there so still. I will never forget that image. My heart absolutely broke for him. So, needless to say, the last few days have been sobering.

On to a different topic now; the school is organizing a fundraising flea market this weekend to be held at the community hall. The kids in our class will be baking goodies tomorrow in preparation for it. I think it will be a lot of fun and such a good experience for the kids. That is if we have school tomorrow afternoon. I see on the weather website that it's calling for a lot of snow and we have a winter storm watch. It would be pretty wicked to have a blizzard now as we've had a wonderful fall and still have hardly any snow to speak of. Would be very cool for Mother Nature to wow us with a gooder to start the season off right!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness..how do you cope? We are just starting with winter & the frosts are here. I cannot imagine having snow already!

Stay cosy!

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences to the family. I've seen a few tragedies over the years here and they are never easy.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home