Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Temp: +1
Sunrise: 7:25 a.m.
Sunset: 7:04 p.m.

Well things have been pretty busy here the last couple of weeks; I just don't know where the time is going!

Last weekend we had a surprise birthday party for one of the teachers and had a scavenger hunt to start it off. It was a lot of fun to plan and think up the clues but I have to say I made one rather significant flub when placing the clues. I hid the clues in black garbage bags with a big pink duct tape 'X' on each one (I know, who has pink duct tape?!). This might have been a good idea if not for the fact that it was pushing dusk when we got started. So, finding a black garbage bag at dusk when you don't really know where you're going is a wee bit of a challenge. Also, when hiding the black garbage bag at the dump (sigh... yes, I know, a garbage bag at the dump?!) we placed it on a patch of snow with rocks on it and the 'x' up. However, the rocks slid off and it ended up just being another bag at the dump which, apparently, was difficult to find. Who knew?? But, all in all a good time was had by everyone and it was something different to do on a Friday night which was good. It's nice to shake things up once in a while.

Then the week came and went pretty quickly and last night we had a gathering at the 12 plex between a couple of apartments. It was rather 'dorm style' with cards being played in one and dominos and music in the other. It was great actually. Lots of people came out for it and there were a lot of laughs. It was such a success I think we'll maybe try it again for Christmas.

And so this coming week not too much is going on. It's getting chillier outside now and I ended up breaking out my parka on Wednesday so winter she is a comin'. I'm a bit disappointed though because I'd been hoping to go to Winnipeg or AB for Thanksgiving but with Aeroplan not being accepted by Calm Air now it's not going to happen. The good news is that Canadian North accepts Airmiles and they fly from Rankin to Edm a few days a week so for Christmas that may be what I end up doing. At least on the way back up.

And today I'm ordering an English course from Athabasca University to work on while I'm up here. Should be interesting. Will be nice to keep me busy over the winter at any rate.

And, again a post with no pictures. I'm having a real problem loading photos onto the blog since I got back in August. Not sure what the problem is but once it's sorted I'll start posting some.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew & Michele said...

I was reading on another’s persons blog (can't remember who) about the scavenger hunt and the garbage dump incident.

As long as everyone had fun that is all that matters.

Dorm room style....brings back memories.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home