Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Temp: -1
Sunrise: 6:44 a.m.
Sunset: 7:54 p.m.

Well, I've finally bitten the bullet and turned up my thermostat. Actually, as I sit here tonight writing this I can barely feel my toes! Mostly my fault though as I tend to keep a window open to get fresh air in the apartment. Well that and the window crank in my bedroom is broken and so the window doesn't quite shut (new parts for it are on order and on their way, hopefully before snow comes to stay). It would seem that fall is on its way out and winter is eagerly peeking around the corner.

But, it's been a pretty good week here in Baker. I started teaching an after school ASL class for those interested and had a huge turnout of 18 people! It's pretty cool to see so many people actively interested in learning the language.

And this week our schools took part in the Terry Fox run which was a lot of fun and as per my past three years here it snowed the day of. Big fluffy snowflakes billowing about on Friday morning for about a half hour. It looked like someone put Baker in a snowglobe and shook it! I'm not sure but I may very well have been the only one truly excited to see the snow. We've had flurries off and on for the past week or two but this one was full-on and beautiful. It even had me humming Christmas carols for a while. :-) But, it was over before we went out in the afternoon so it made for a great walk in the crisp fall air.

And this weekend I attended the wedding of a couple here from town. I helped out with the decorations and then took in the festivities at the hall. Of course the bride looked stunning, as did the bridesmaids, and the groom and groomsmen were very handsome in their suits. We played games after the supper and then the square dance began. I never win at the games but they are so much fun to play. That is unless you get boo'd! The gist of the game is that everyone makes a huge circle and several dice are passed out. A number is chosen and that is the number you need to roll to join in. We had to get a 5 and when we did, we had to race to the centre of the circle where a lady stood with a grocery bag filled with scads of other bags, knotted twice. The goal is to untie the knots before someone else gets a 5 and you keep the bag; the person with the most bags wins obviously. Well it was my turn to go up and I couldn't get the knot so I went to yank at it with my teeth and the crowd boo'd me! Apparently this is against the rules... It was too funny! Hee hee, let me tell ya, I won't be making THAT mistake again. :-)

After that the square dance began and the first song lasted almost 40 minutes! I was exhausted just watching everyone. I wanted to join in but there were already enough people so didn't, and frankly I don't know if I would have been able to! I watched the dancers up there (who have incredible rhythm I have to say) and just when I thought I had it figured out a whole new move would get added. Heh heh, besides the fact that I would have quite possibly needed CPR had I joined in, I also may have hurt myself or someone else by flailing about in what would very likely have been the wrong direction. Next time though I definitely plan to give it a shot.


Post a Comment

<< Home