Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Monday, May 19, 2008

Temp: -1
Windchill: -7
Sunrise: 3:50 a.m.
Sunset: 10:51 p.m.
Cloudy and chilly

This weekend we finally had sunshine and amazing weather! We all went out on the lake ice fishing and to have a bit of a picnic of bannock, hot dogs, tea and cookies. It was fantastic! Exactly what I needed. It's been pretty gloomy here weather-wise for a very long time so it was really great to get out. In fact, I found myself nursing a sunburn afterwards and couldn't be have been happier about it! :-)


Oli making the most of being out of the apartment finally!


Todd drilling the first hole


Tania and I chowing down on some bannock


Chad cooking up more of the secret recipe


Ivan catching some rays on his Honda

So now I find myself counting down until I'm AB-bound once again. Only 22 days left and I can hardly contain myself. The dose of sunshine this weekend gave me a bit of a lift and has me longing for greenery and sunshine. Now it's been pretty toasty down south so I've heard, so I may regret asking for warm weather but at this point, bring it on! And with only 13.5 school days left we are in wind-down mode. Good thing too as attendance is quite noticeably dropping and the staff are all anxious for the break. Tis the season after all.

I'm looking out at the ice that is the lake right now and the edge is wet with runoff; slowly the ice is creeping back from the shore although it's still 7 feet thick and won't fully melt until July. Soon snowmobilers will be skipping across the open water to get to the ice to head out hunting and fishing. Everyone is walking around with 'snow tans' and burns from being out on the land and, with that comes snow blindness. It's amazing how bright it is up here even when it's cloudy and gloomy, and unprotected eyes suffer the consequences. Bloodshot eyes become a frequent sight as even the shortest time without sunglasses can damage the eyes. And it's painful.

Other than that, the kids are very excited to be out on their bikes and to be wearing lighter clothes. Off come parkas for the most part and out come the spring jackets and running shoes or rubber boots. Still a bit chilly for me to break out the spring coat though as I tried it today and found my teeth chattering when I got to school, but the rubber boots have been out for a while. And, after rescuing a small child's bike from a VERY deep puddle, I realized I have a 1 inch gash in one of my boots and they fill quite quickly. Chilly! But, pink duct tape on my army green boots has temporarily rectified the problem and new ones will have to be purchased the first chance I get to head to a Peavy Mart down south. Sigh.. I have nothing if not an acute sense of fashion. :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennith said...

It sounds like a good place to live and its reassuring to see pictures too. I will be at the high school doing science and math, but I don't really have the details sorted out quite yet about when I get there - sometime in early August. Hope your last few weeks go well - I've duly added stamps to the list.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home