Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Temp: -39
Windchill: -57
supposed to dip to -63 overnight :-(
Sunrise: 9:14 a.m.
Sunset: 4:00 p.m.

Brrrrr. That pretty much sums it up. Well, damn cold is another way to say it. Skin freezes almost instantly it seems is another. Busses don't run properly but kids still walk to school in this, is another. The dog does his business on three legs, yet another. Sigh... I know it's the north but COME ON! Enough already!!!

Well, we've been pretty much in a deep freeze since getting back at the beginning of January and I have to say it's getting a bit old. Everyone is feeling exhausted and worn out and experiencing cabin fever. Well, probably not everyone but I am for sure. And for about a week there were no planes coming in or out which leaves one feeling isolated and absolutely CRAVING fresh produce! And bread. And milk. And mail! It was so nice to get mail again. I got a wonderful surprise care-package from a friend in Calgary and let me tell ya, I sure did appreciate it! So many fun goodies - care-packages are definitely a treasured luxury when living in the north!

But, with all the cold weather I have to say it is honestly pretty inspiring to see these little ones trudging to school, so determined to come every day regardless of frostbitten faces, necks and hands. Man, I've always thought that kids are our greatest teachers and this is yet another example of that! No complaining, smiles on their faces and just bundles of giggles. Definitely humbling.

Anyway, there was a brief reprieve on Sunday so Tania, Chad, me and the dogs went out for a romp on the ice. Here are a couple pics from that.













With the cold weather comes frost... indoors! Ice on the stovetop vent at the neighbours.



Pancake lunch with some of the gang on one of the surprise blizzard days we got off school. Good thing our dogs don't beg... Sheesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home