Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Temp: -1
Sunrise: 8:09 a.m.
Sunset: 6:11 p.m.

Well, the Thanksgiving weekend is nearly over and I have to say it's been very relaxing. I haven't gotten much accomplished but sometimes ya just need that kinda weekend. Batteries are fully recharged and I'm ready to rock for the coming week. And, tomorrow we have no kids at school because of teachers inservice so it's a nice way to ease into the week.

As for the weather, it's been a bit windy and chilly the last few days but still no snow to speak of. Frost yes, snow no. It feels odd actually not having snow yet. A while back someone was telling me that the elders were calling for an early and cold winter but she ain't here yet. It's nice actually. Although I wouldn't mind getting out of town and on the land before it hits. But I certainly notice that it's getting dark quite quickly. The days are getting shorter and I find myself yawning and feeling ready for bed by 7:30 because it's so dark out. Sure nice for sleeping though.

Last night we all went over to Todd and Jenesta's place for Thanksgiving and it was so nice. Everybody has been so busy lately that we haven't all gotten together in a long time. We had a fantastic spread of turkey and all the fixin's and then watched a movie. Kind of cliche I know but I found myself thinking that I'm sure thankful for my friends; both in the north and wherever else they may be.

Anyway, here are some pics that I've taken recently. Not great ones but just some sights around town.

This is the barge that got stuck here last fall and froze in. They got it out when the ice broke, anchored it out in the bay and she broke loose, floating around until wedging herself onto the far shore where she'd been stuck for a few weeks.



And this is the tug that thought it could! She tried and tried and finally got the barge out and hauled her off but it took a few days of trying. This shot was taken near the RCMP - love the little inukshuk they have set up there.



This is a barge that was docked and piled high. I'd been waiting for my barge order to get in as it was quite late. This barge was stuck at the dock for a couple days while the crane was having repairs done to it. The barge with my groceries is way off in the distance to the left.



Baker Lake is definitely a boating town!





And there she be! Finally got this delivered on Wednesday night while I was at badminton. Exciting stuff!!



Oli checking out the goods. While he didn't get into anything, he was certainly interested in the box of dog biscuits under my pickles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home