Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Temp: -38
Windchill: -58
Mild Blizzard

Well, this week was PD week and it was nice to have a bit of a break. It ended up I only had to work Tuesday and Wednesday and the rest of the week I had off. That was nice because I was feeling a bit burnt out. The weather during the week couldn't have been nicer either. On Thursday we woke up to -15 and sunshine so Oliver and I went for a walk out towards the airport. It was so peaceful. The hills had dozens of caribou roaming around. What a sight.

Another interesting sight was when I looked out onto the lake and saw this fellow Kite-skiing. It was pretty facinating to watch. What a rush it must have been to be gliding across the lake, powered by the haphazard winds up here.



Last night I had the girls over for dinner and the only requirement was we had to gussie up. I made beer-can chicken and it was sooo tasty. We listened to bad 90's music, played UNO and watched The Departed. It was fun and it felt good to dress up a bit and look more feminine than weather worn! :-)







Something you come to appreciate living up here in the North is that you don't experience door to door solicitors of the spiritual kind. No, they don't come to your door up here, you get those little gems in the mail! I got a good giggle a while back when I received a mysterious looking letter from an unknown address. Now, it was close to Valentines day so thought 'Hey, a secret admirer.. Cool!' Yeah, no. I opened it up to discover an AWAKE magazine along with a letter detailing how my life could be much fuller if.... So, while I appreciate the gesture, if whoever sent this to me is reading this, I'm full up for now. But thanks anyways! :-)

And on a more serious note, there's been an upset in the community this week. One of the 'Southern' teachers wrote several articles about Nunavut/Baker Lake that got published on a website down south and the community is angry about what was written (NU and BL were depicted in an unfavorable light). I won't get into the details but the issue has drawn an uneasy wedge between the local community and the 'southerners'. It's left me feeling cautious and very aware of my skin color, which I've never really experienced before. Something like this happening upsets the delicate balance of trust and loyalty that has been forged but never really solidified because of betrayals in the past. Issues like this take generations to resolve and while time may heal all wounds, it passes awfully slow when you see it happening first hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home