Treena's Travels

This blog was set up to journal my experience of living in Nunavut and keep friends and family up to date on these happenings. It's a wonderful place, this hideaway in the north, and I'm loving my time here. An unforgettable place with unforgettable people. I'm lucky to be here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Temp: -20
Windchill: -36
Blizzard

Since my last entry we've built volcanos at school, celebrated St. Patrick's Day at the 12 plex, moved Todd and Jenesta to their new home, I went to the wedding of a couple of teachers from our school, and just generally tried to stay warm.

Cake for the class for St Paddy's day



Volcano fun for the Science Fair





St Paddy's fun







Well, this weekend was a beautiful weekend until later on in the day. The weather had finally broke and the sun was just a shinin'! Absolutely lovely!! But, now we've got a mild blizzard in the works and we've been issued a warning that it will get worse. So, maybe no school tomorrow but we won't know until 7:30 a.m.

As for what else is new here, I got my parka and it's so beautiful!!!

Here's what I look like in it.



Heh heh, kidding. But in reality, here it is (not so far off mind you). :-)



Hey, I match the furniture!





But note to self: next time I have a parka made, ensure exactly what will be visible. I didn't do this and, as a result, I have a fancy rainbow colored liner for all to see. :-) Ahh well, live and learn.



On a more sombre note, last weekend we had a very unfortunate accident in the community involving a teenage boy. As with so many teenagers in every community everywhere, the young boy decided to partake in a bit of partying and got into someone's home brew. The boy wandered off in the middle of the night and was found in a snowbank the next morning, alive, but severely frostbitten on his hands and feet. The last report I heard, it looked like the young man was going to have to have his hands amputated and at least some of his toes. So sad to happen to anyone, let alone a seventeen year old boy with nothing but life ahead of him.

Anyway, things have been status quo up here. Thursday and Friday night we moved Jenesta and Todd into their new house which is really nice. Saturday morning I woke up with a minor cold and off to soccer I went with 60 some kids for three hours. Nice! It was a lot of fun but I've been fighting a bug for a couple weeks now and it finally got to me because I was laid out for the rest of the day. And today was just tidying up around the house and then Oli and I went for a walk out on the lake with Tania and Sable. It was really cool outside because it was warm but with blowing snow. It was really pretty actually. Although, I have to say being out on the lake still makes me nervous. Once in a while you hear loud cracks and it sends shivers up my spine. I HATE that noise! But, it was great to get some fresh air finally and let the dogs have a romp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home